Check Out Our Shop
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

SO who wants to go to Cordova with me?

Mt. Eyak snotel is reporting 166" deepest snow pack of any ski area in the world...

I have a cabin and a car, want to go for a weekend from Anchorage, and split ferry costs with someone...

Seriously
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

Sometimes I hate having kids and responsibility. I love Cordova.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

Don't you have a wife? Take a friday off... we each pay $75 round trip for the ferry...

AKPM good idea. I am in Seattle may make it back today. Bringing 3 grain scoops, so I have an extra for you. See you at the airport at 1:00.
    off your knees Louie

Just spoke to a few in town and thinking the ski area will be closed for a few days for certain. Huge snows yesterday and more on the way today. Airport, roads and town are shut down. They are under a State of Emergency now with all the snow.

I feel for all those folks that dis-like snow in town but it is going to be one hell of a heli season. Aircraft arrive in 3 weeks!

Mt Eyak is going to be all time!

Quinner

So what does Mt Eyak mean by "Open weekdays, holidays and powder days" how many inches count as a pow day!?

http://http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.ne...51569740_n.jpg

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	404715_10150468266597584_91836672583_8663287_1451569740_n.jpg 
Views:	694 
Size:	63.2 KB 
ID:	107230

Check out the top station...I guess it takes this much to close it...

it is pretty unreal. Been shoveling for 7 straight hours. probably have another couple of days of shoveling to save my house. Murchinson Bowl went huge put trees into Eyak lake. You won't be climbing ice there this season. 5 mile path should go tonight. Will be bigger than the 2000 slide. Will try and get some photos soon.
    off your knees Louie

holy shit that's a lot of snow...

I think I picked the wrong season to head to PNH. Wish I were coming again this year. I will be back, but having a kid in a few days means no heli skiing for me this year. And since AK is stealing all of the snow from the lower 48, no snow in Utah either. Arg.

Get some for the rest of us Quinner.

The chair is buried... Holy shit thats deep.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

and now they're apparently evacuating folks..

http://thecordovatimes.com/article/1...snow_emergency

Holy shit! . . . that is a lot of snow. Feast or famine this year for sure. Crazy. Careful out there folks.

The Passion is in the Risk

so how do you unbury a chairlift? Does Eyak have a snowcat?

Quote Originally Posted by PointsNorth View Post
    Just spoke to a few in town and thinking the ski area will be closed for a few days for certain. Huge snows yesterday and more on the way today. Airport, roads and town are shut down. They are under a State of Emergency now with all the snow.

I feel for all those folks that dis-like snow in town but it is going to be one hell of a heli season. Aircraft arrive in 3 weeks!

Quinner
    Need help shoveling or ferrying up the birds? I've got a serious need to escape CA.....
    # # #

"...You must be a big skier then." I said "no, I'm a petite size 2." Awkward silence.... - Parvo

Heard Hugh lost a testy in the tram line at Kitzbühel via altercation with the local monoboard team circa '93. Has been bitter about game theory since.- Klauss

Making national headlines now:

http://news.yahoo.com/alaska-town-tr...232753203.html

Alaska town tries to dig out from huge snow dump
    Associated Press By RACHEL D'ORO | AP – 22 mins ago

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) — The small Alaska fishing town of Cordova is used to dealing with excessive snow — but not like this. Residents have turned to the state to help them dig out of massive snow levels that have collapsed roofs, triggered avalanches and even covered doors, trapping some people in their homes.

"There's nowhere to go with the snow because it's piled up so high," said Wendy Rainney, who owns the Orca Adventure Lodge. A storage building for the lodge — which offers fishing trips, hiking, kayaking and glacier tours — partially collapsed under the weight of the snow, she said.

"This is more quantity than can be handled."

Responders said Sunday that rain fell overnight, making for a treacherous mess in the Prince William Sound community of 2,000 year-round residents. The region has been pummeled by snow, but Cordova is of particular concern because there is no road access to the town, which is reachable only by boat or plane, said Maj. Gen. Thomas Katkus, adjutant general of the Alaska National Guard.

There have been no reported injuries, but bad weather has prevented the Guard from flying to the town, 150 miles southeast of Anchorage. At least 50 Guard members are now headed to Cordova on a state ferry. They're expected to arrive later Sunday to help clear roofs, roads, boats — whatever the greatest need is.

Katkus said Guard members will be on hand for up to two weeks. "This is an ongoing operation," he told reporters Sunday.

An avalanche brought snow and debris down on a section of the Copper River Highway, the 12-mile link from the town to the local airport. State transportation officials said a secondary road was opened to two-lane traffic while crews cleared the highway Sunday.

The state also is working on bringing in more heavy equipment to Cordova, which has issued a disaster proclamation.

The National Weather Service said that Monday is supposed to be clear before another system moves in Tuesday.

"This break in the weather is very critical and very fortunate," meteorologist Don Moore said.
    "The mind, once expanded to the dimensions of larger ideas, never returns to its original size."

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...22803873_n.jpg
    picked up the car at the airport. This is from the last two weeks. It is probably 2' deeper in town. Been shoveling solid. arrived home and my interior doors would not close. I imagine no one is in a big hurry to shovel out the hill. All the guys who would usually volunteer are making 25 to 50 dollars an hour shoveling around town. Maybe free skiing for the national guard may get it open.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	381006_357587200922838_100000146837393_1684406_2122803873_n.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	10.8 KB 
ID:	107349  
    off your knees Louie

Holy crap. Good luck BFD.

Crazy. Kevin- you guys must have some rare lines getting teed up this season?

http://http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.ne...51569740_n.jpg

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	404715_10150468266597584_91836672583_8663287_1451569740_n.jpg 
Views:	694 
Size:	63.2 KB 
ID:	107230

Check out the top station...I guess it takes this much to close it...
    I see Blue; He looks glorious.

Quinner

See you week 8! Can't wait.

http://news.yahoo.com/photos/u-s--13...021434965.html

WOW! That looks like the newer building across from the NEFCo & right in front of the Heli-Pad. Care to confirm Kevin?
    "The mind, once expanded to the dimensions of larger ideas, never returns to its original size."

^^ yeah that's where the heli pad would be.......

I chose the wrong year to go...

here is the heli pad
    http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...59634202_n.jpg
    the Cordova Times facebook page has been providing infromation.
    off your knees Louie

holy shit....they did a good job shoveling off those roofs! Too bad it sounds like the old warehouse/storage area to the right collapsed from what I heard

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    here is the heli pad
    http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...59634202_n.jpg
    the Cordova Times facebook page has been providing infromation.
    You guys need a hand? I'll dig for fun and food/beer, have nothing going on next week aside from skiing...