Check Out Our Shop
Page 103 of 104 FirstFirst ... 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 LastLast
Results 2,551 to 2,575 of 2576
    Bobsled is infested with Myrtle Spurge, on top of rusty cars, makes it really exciting these days.
    It's overrated, I used to love it. I appreciate it for what it is and how quick one can spin an afternoon lap if needed, but the ride arounds and 'B' lines down low are no longer dirt or sandy, but full on sketchy ball bearings. I had not ridden in since 2021, and rode it last week, probably won't ride it again in the near future.

That being said. lots of really great 'xc' riding on shoreline with some fun descents and ways to link up some really big rides if you want!
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

delete-duplicate
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Quote Originally Posted by Phall View Post
    Bobsled is infested with Myrtle Spurge, on top of rusty cars, makes it really exciting these days.
    It's overrated, I used to love it.
    Myrtle Spurge is infesting the entire Wasatch front. Rusty cars has jumps over them - to someone who has never ridden it you are making it sound unrideable.

Everyone has different tastes, you can dislike anything I don't care, but remember your first time down it? That's the experience I'm suggesting to lowagriz. I'm not suggesting it from a jaded local perspective, which I am too, who has done it many times.

Again, if it ain't yer cup of tea, so be it. I think starting from the zoo, going up dry creek, down Bobsled, up to Lost Lad and back up to BST and direct back to the zoo is great ride for a presumably first time biker in SLC, and not that controversial?

Here's where Lowagriz chimes in how he's ridden bobsled a bunch and hates it in 3, 2, 1....

Bobsled’s a literal junk ditch and it’s fucking awesome! Ridden it a dozen times already this season. IDK what you beaters are talking about it. Go fast in the top then hit the sweet jumps, what’s not to love? It’s a city treasure and we’re blessed by our dark lord to have it. Hail Satan!
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Quote Originally Posted by beaterdit View Post
    Bobsled’s a literal junk ditch and it’s fucking awesome! Ridden it a dozen times already this season. IDK what you beaters are talking about it. Go fast in the top then hit the sweet jumps, what’s not to love? It’s a city treasure and we’re blessed by our dark lord to have it. Hail Satan!
    OK, Boomer.

I’m solidly Gen X. There’s only one person talkin like a boomer here and it ain’t me.

Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post
    Myrtle Spurge is infesting the entire Wasatch front. Rusty cars has jumps over them - to someone who has never ridden it you are making it sound unrideable.

Everyone has different tastes, you can dislike anything I don't care, but remember your first time down it? That's the experience I'm suggesting to lowagriz. I'm not suggesting it from a jaded local perspective, which I am too, who has done it many times.

Again, if it ain't yer cup of tea, so be it. I think starting from the zoo, going up dry creek, down Bobsled, up to Lost Lad and back up to BST and direct back to the zoo is great ride for a presumably first time biker in SLC, and not that controversial?

Here's where Lowagriz chimes in how he's ridden bobsled a bunch and hates it in 3, 2, 1....
    100%

If a guys up for a little adventure. I’d skip the zoo to the U myself.

It's overrated, I used to love it. I appreciate it for what it is and how quick one can spin an afternoon lap if needed, but the ride arounds and 'B' lines down low are no longer dirt or sandy, but full on sketchy ball bearings. I had not ridden in since 2021, and rode it last week, probably won't ride it again in the near future.

That being said. lots of really great 'xc' riding on shoreline with some fun descents and ways to link up some really big rides if you want!
    Bobsled’s a little haggard these days with all the traffic but that’s part of the fun. The main line and the jumps are still good. I honestly don’t see how the spurge affects the riding experience in the least though? The whole SLC Shoreline in infested with that shit. Dry Creek is probably the epicenter.

I've never ridden in the SLC area, so I'm open to some fun times.

Supercross is in Rice Eccles, so I don't want to go north of that and have to backtrack. Bobsled sounds like a fun experience.

Is anyone going to the SX race?

Regardless of my jaded bullshit, ride bobsled, you'll have fun. you can even park for the SX race and ride to/from your vehicle and not have to move it for the event.

Beware the spurge: It poses a danger to people because of its caustic, latex sap, which causes nausea, vomiting and diarrhea when ingested. The sap can cause blindness if it gets in people's eyes. Skin contact with sap causes redness, swelling and blisters.

I rode bobsled for the first time ever on Saturday. No idea how it took me that long to ride it. I did NOT jump any cars. Full props to anyone who does. That said...

...holy fuck that is a fun trail. The top part is nasty and tech at speed, the middle part is big, steep bmx berms, the bottom part is an array of jumps of all sizes with some loose crap in the middle. Fucking outstanding. Riding it without knowing what's around each corner or over each kicker is exhilarating and kinda terrifying. It'd take me about 5 times riding it to start finding good lines and consistent links and about 25 times to really get hauling. Totally unique, constant action and super flowy. Great, great trail.

Loved it, will ride again soon.

Regardless of my jaded bullshit, ride bobsled, you'll have fun. you can even park for the SX race and ride to/from your vehicle and not have to move it for the event.

Beware the spurge: It poses a danger to people because of its caustic, latex sap, which causes nausea, vomiting and diarrhea when ingested. The sap can cause blindness if it gets in people's eyes. Skin contact with sap causes redness, swelling and blisters.
    So sounds like you're good as long as you don't eat it, or faceplant, hard, directly on it, on the ground, without glasses. Thanks for the info though, I did not know that. Still sounds like you'd have to be very unlucky for it to be an issue.

my son has U of Utah orientation the first week of June. We are bringing enduro bikes looking for black diamond riding; more steep and tech than flow. I suspect the higher elevation riding around Park City and Deer Valley will not be available. Are we too early in the season to find what we are looking for or are there other options in the greater SLC? We are willing to drive within a couple of hours.

Mid-mountain trail and below in park city I think still has a good chance of being in by then, which opens up a lot of options. The full spinal tap shuttle in Richfield and then lapping the lower trails (2.5 hrs away) is a good option if it’s still cool and wet here, super fun riding. The alpine riding in Ogden area also usually dries out before the central wasatch, should definitely have options!

Richfield is a great option for a trip, and you could even tag on some of the trails in Cedar City before looping back up to SLC. PC should have some fun stuff in to ride if MM and below are good, there are some really fun 'skidder' type trails that keep popping up. If you haven't been here and are OK with some longer pedals, Flying dog should be in is a beautiful Utah classic 'XC' ride that people ride on enduro bikes all the time. Definitely not black diamond but a great ride. further back in this thread there are some other secret/hard to find techy stuff in the foothills which will surely be dry by then. If I wasn't getting married that week I'd offer to do some tour guiding. Beautiful time to be here even if the upper stuff isn't dry yet.

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    I did NOT jump any cars. Full props to anyone who does.
    These dudes were 8 at the time.

https://youtu.be/1Bto6v4JVFI?si=PhEJIR4zBBVoE5XQ

You'd be crazy to be in SLC for the first time and already going to be at Rice Eccles and not ride the Sled while you're there. Sure, the options have expanded greatly since its heyday but it's still as classic as it gets. Add on Terror Ridge (on Trailforks) while you're there if you have the time and/or seek out 70s Bush (not on Trailforks but there's a Strava segment for it).

If you're into jumps at all you MUST check out I Street. Even if you're not into jumps just go walk around and marvel at the scale of it. I Street is a legit world class bike park and an SLC MTB institution.

Quote Originally Posted by CurtisBlow View Post
    my son has U of Utah orientation the first week of June. We are bringing enduro bikes looking for black diamond riding; more steep and tech than flow. I suspect the higher elevation riding around Park City and Deer Valley will not be available. Are we too early in the season to find what we are looking for or are there other options in the greater SLC? We are willing to drive within a couple of hours.
    Even if you do some other trails, do a Terror/Bobsled lap. If he's really into steep tech, that ride should have him stoked on the trails he'll have right out his front door at the U.

Coyote is dead.
    Did my annual birthday loop on it and found that someone has been riding a motorcycle on the town side knocking in alot of cookies. On the Jordanelle side, when you reach the construction zone they have close the trail and told me I needed to go back the way I came. I dropped to the highway and rode out on it to the next parking area where I linked back up onto river view. I'm sure there are other ride arounds, but I don't knoow the trail system well enough. Historically I've loved this ride. Now with the development on both ends, it just saddened me a bit. Seems like Heber is allowing itself to go to Salt Lake type density and we're loosing a little something. I won't be back.

There is one snow drift requiring about 100 yards of hike a bike, and probably 10-12 downed aspen

Huh. Did you ride Mordor/the new skidders that are up there? I have a friend that lives riding distance from the trailhead and said it’s been riding great the last few weeks

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Huh. Did you ride Mordor/the new skidders that are up there? I have a friend that lives riding distance from the trailhead and said it’s been riding great the last few weeks

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    There is a new dirt jumper line in progress on the climb on the end by the city side. It all goes smooth. Mordor didn't change. I didn't see anything else new, there is a thing called Wille Coyote on the back? It decends down to the parking lot where the historic coyote went, and now they turn you back. The dirt jump line is cool, but not my sweet spot. I made it through without tearing it up.

The Mordor stuff on the city side is pretty good, but the Coyote loop will be missed. You could ride a loop and never see anyone else, but that's in the past I guess. "Progress".

Bummer news about the Coyote loop. It was a fun scenic ride with cool split personalities on the various sections. The seasonal semi-wild sheep dogs, fence crossings, etc. gave it a unique vibe.

Just checked out the new trails in bountiful just north of mueller (twist and shout, shoot to thrill). They were really fun and offered some nice variety. Could use some rain, a little sandy in the berms and will be interesting to see how it holds up with real traffic after a climbing trail is added from the bottom. The hike a bike to get to the climb trail wasn’t too bad, under 25 min from the car to the BST on north Holbrook. Worth checking out

Not dirt, but pretty pleased with myself making it from the house up to the top of big mountain no stops.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
    sigless.

I think I first rode Bobsled in ‘98, and most recently a few weeks ago with Beaterdit.
    Had great fun, some things are actually way better than in the dinosaur days, TBH.
    It’s a little gem for being right in the city.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident